MT. BAKER HIKING TRAILS - Private Chalet Rental
North Cascades National Park - Glacier, WA
LAKE ANN TRAIL
Round Trip Distance: 8 miles
Hiking Time: 6 Hours
High Point: 4800 ft.
Elevation Gain: 2000 ft.
Mt. Shuksan Mt. Shuksan at Lake Ann
- When North Cascade hikers compare memories of favorite sitting-and-looking places, Lake Ann always gets fond mention.
- The trail head is at Austin Pass (4700 ft) above the Bagley Lakes. The trail begins by dropping 600 feet to the headwater basin of Swift Creek. Brooks meander in grass and flower meadows. Marmots whistle from boulder-top perches.
Bagley Lake Bagley Lake and Table Mtn
- From the basin the trail traverses through the forest to an attractive campsite (3900 ft) in meadows by a rushing stream.
- The trail begins a 900 foot ascent through heather and small trees, then over a granite rockslide into forest under a cliff, to a saddle (4800 ft), beyond which is Lake Ann.
- Mt Shuksan seen from here is quite different from the road side view. The close-up view of the 4500 ft living wall of glaciers and cliffs is spectacular.
- Lake Ann is often frozen until late in the season. A trail around the lake is interesting for observing the contact between granitic rocks and complex metamorphics. Blueberrys grow on the upper slopes above the lake.
- Complete trail information and directions are available from the Forest Ranger Station in Glacier Village.
OTHER HIKING TRAILS
TOWNHOUSE RENTAL INFORMATION: |